At Outcast HQ, we are nursing an ear infection while patiently awaiting the New Year and much imbibing. It’s a mix of trepidation and “ow, my ear hurts” – so to put our mind at ease, we’re pulling together the LGBT news from around the web.
- Feminist and actress, Diora Baird, is engaged.
The couple got engaged over the totally not most clichéd time of year. Best wishes, all the same.
- Mike Parrow, a 34-year-old wrestler, has come out as gay. While Parrow acknowledges he’d known he was gay for years, he admitted trying conversion therapy. We hope he’s at peace with himself now.
- Everyone’s favourite drag queens reveal their resolutions for New Years. Slay, Trixxie, slay.
- The future is female – or ‘bye, bitch, how women will rule the world’.
- DailyBeast has a great write-up in the year that was for queer cinema. Shout-outs to Moonlight and Call Me By Your Name in particular.
- Vox looks at what a great year it was for LGBT women characters. (It really was, as well.)
- Erica Garner, daughter of Eric Garner who was killed by US police, has been declared brain dead after a massive heart attack. Erica was a mother of two.
- Despite the fact it’s hinted that Laura Dern’s General Holdo is bisexual (and had some kind of history with Leia), nothing made it onscreen. Dern said the following in an interview with the LA Times:
“I look forward to a character being deeply represented in terms of their sexuality. I know that none of us would have any problem, and only joy, if anybody wants to put [an LGBTQ identity] onto my character or any character in this film.”
Holdo is (SPOILER ALERT) dead now, so eh. ?
- Jann Wenner, the founder of the Rolling Stones (magazine, not the band) has been accused of sexual assault by a male employee.
- Russia is continuing to be a shitshow for LGBT folk without any perceived pushback.
- Advocate has a complete list of trans people murdered in 2017. RIP.
- Two people have been arrested following the murder of two moms and their kids in New York. The Times Union newspaper reported prosecutors have charged Justin Mann with three counts of second-degree murder and one count of first-degree murder. James White has been charged with four counts of second-degree murder.